Sunday, December 5, 2010

Lion Around



I've always wanted a lion. Like Patience and Fortitude (the New York Public Library Lions) I love the idea of having a lion guard the front door of my house. So for the last couple of years I've been looking at lawn ornaments to find just the right lion.

A couple months ago I went out to Created in Johnston, a local place where each statue is hand cast and custom painted. And I bought my own lion. He's beautiful. He was cast just for me and painted with my specified color. He's Victorian Rust, a purple-ish tinge that makes me incredibly happy although it doesn't quite match the red brick. They did a beautiful job. He's heavy and durable and will last a long time. I feel like he's now an enduring part of the house.

The cat is terrified of him. Every time she goes out she has to spend a huge amount of time smelling him to make sure he's not real. But I adore him. I love the idea of him guarding the house. And doesn't he look regal among the leaves? Next year I'm excited to see what plantings will look best surrounding him. I'm hoping for a jungle look. Perhaps he'll get me into gardening.

Right now I'm ready to name him. And I want your help. Any ideas? I kept thinking of something regal but I'm open to any suggestion.

2 comments: