Saturday, June 4, 2011

Nerd Strong


I've read Doonesbury for years. I love both Trudeau's characters and his great political satire. I've saved a couple of the good ones over the years and bought a couple of the books, but there's one that's tacked up on my bulletin board at my desk and I thought it was finally time to share it.

I'm a nerd, a geek, an oddball. I've been so all my life. In middle school I was called every name in the book. By high school I worried a lot less about the names. I was just happy doing my own thing. By college I was comfortable enough with my oddness, and now I downright embrace it. One of my coworkers this week called me a "super crazy geek" and I took it as a compliment. I have no idea if he meant it as a compliment (I actually think so) but that's how I'm going to take it. I'm a bit different. And I'm not worried about that.

So this comic strip about Nerd Strong resonated with me. I've started using the phrase myself. I'm impervious to insults. I'm comfortable being called a geek or nerd. I revel in my oddness. I find myself hanging out mostly with geeks and nerds. I find it makes life more interesting. And I think most adult geeks do the same. I think deep down we're all a little odd. It's just a matter of how much we let it show.

P.S. If the image is too small to read, you can always find the original here.

No comments: