Sunday, January 2, 2011

Healing

A year ago today I was laying on the downstairs couch with my leg wrapped in a plaster cast, sucking down percocets like they were going out of style. I was broken and in pain. I was also completely helpless. I couldn't bring myself water, I couldn't make myself food. Standing for any length of time was horribly tiring. And more than anything I was depressed.

So this New Years I'm celebrating my wholeness. I can walk and stand and run and even crouch. I'm pain free and healthy. The amount of healing I've done over the course of the year is amazing to me. I'm still in awe that the human body can heal bones. I've been blessed with a family who pushed me to get better. I was lucky to have a great physical therapist. And I'm even more blessed to have a husband who taught me the meaning of courage.

My goal for the new year is to become more fearless. To be more willing to take a chance, in all aspects of my life. I've been broken and I healed. I've been in pain and I lived through it. I couldn't walk and now I can. I was always afraid of breaking bones and while the experience was awful, I've lived through it. And that, has given me courage. I'm ready to go out and live a bit more. I'll still be careful on the ice but I think I'm ready to venture out a bit more.

I hope your new year is adventurous. I hope you do things you've never done before. I hope you use this year to the best of your ability and that when you look back, you are proud. I hope 2011 is the best year of your life.

No comments: