Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Thanksgiving Dish

I'm heading to my parent's house for Thanksgiving this year. It will be a day filled with food and family. I'm looking forward to it immensely. For the last couple of years, we kids have been allowed to bring a dish to dinner.

I've brought a few dishes but my favorite is Frog Eye Salad. I first had Frog Eye when I was working back at Heartland. I was more than skeptical the first time I was offered some of the dish. Not only did it have a bizarre name but it had a weird looking texture. I hesitated the first couple of potlucks until I finally tried my first taste. Then I was hooked.

I've made this dish so many times now I don't really need the recipe. The salad isn't what it sounds like. The name comes from the tiny pasta, called Acini de Pepe. The salad has a Cool Whip base and is filled with mandarin oranges and pineapple. It's a pasta salad and a dessert all in one. I'm excited to make it again for another Thanksgiving although I'm sure my family is probably tired of it. I thought I'd share the recipe here.

Frog Eye Salad

1 C. Sugar
2 T. Flour
2 eggs, beaten
3 qts water
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1 3/4 c. pineapple juice
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. cooking oil
3 cans mandarin oranges, drained
2-- 20 oz cans pineapple chunks, drained
1-- 12 oz carton Cool Whip
1-- 16 oz pkg Acini de Pepe pasta
2 c. marshmallows

In a saucepan mix flour, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt. Slowly add pineapple juice and eggs. Cook until thickened. Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Allow to cool completely.

Bring water, remaining salt, and oil to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until done. Drain. Mix egg mixture and macaroni. Refrigerate (I normally allow it to cool overnight).
When finally cool, mixed in the rest of the ingredients. I normally start with the Cool Whip to loosen up the pasta and then add the rest of the fruit and marshmallows.

This recipe is huge. I often cut it in half even for a large family gathering. It is a heavy salad although leftovers are still good for up to three days. I also tend to go heavy on the Cool Whip and often use more than just the one carton. More than anything, enjoy. This sweet salad is guaranteed to satisfy.


No comments: