Monday, September 15, 2008

I have not fallen off the face of the earth

Although lately it feels like it. I have been bad about blogging, not even logging in all weekend. In fact, I didn't even check my email this weekend. Instead I worked. A good chunk of the weekend. These last three weeks at work have been very busy. I have more projects than I know what to do with. Normally I don't have to work on the weekend but this was an exception. I'll work next weekend as well. Why? Because I'm sailing off into the sunset. In two weeks. So I have to pay my dues now. 

When I finished my Masters, Jeff asked me what I wanted as a gift. I said that I wanted a cruise. I've always wanted to take a cruise. As I've mentioned before I'm pretty sure I was a pirate or a sailor in my previous life. I love the ocean and I particularly love boats. The thought of being miles from shore on a boat makes me incredibly excited. Now add a 24 hour buffet and two of the most beautiful ports I could imagine and you can sense my excitement. 

This trip has been a year and a half in the making. We have had it booked since December. I read more about cruise ships in that time then I did for my final papers in school. I wanted to make the right choice. We're sailing on Royal Caribbean and I think we did pretty well. I'm stopping in Key West, to see Hemingway's home. In Cozumel for snorkeling and shopping. And Belize for the jungles and Mayan ruins. 

But mostly I'm just excited to be out at sea. Ever since I was young I wanted to learn to sail. I have a dream of owning a boat and sailing the Caribbean on a live aboard. And for the first time I get a chance to go to bed completely surrounded by water and wake up the same way. We no longer believed that the world is flat but I would love to think I'm sailing to the ends of the earth. Or at least the ends of the Caribbean. 

By the way, this will be our home in two weeks. Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas. Can anyone say floating resort? (again a "borrowed picture". I'll have some of my own when I come back.)



No comments: