Monday, September 1, 2008

So Have You Read Anything Good Recently?

I get this question a lot. Since I tend to read a lot many people ask me what I've been reading recently and whether I would recommend it. In turn I ask the question a lot. I love book suggestions which is a good thing and a bad thing. The good part is that I get a number of great books to read next. The bad part is the fact that I can hardly keep up with the stacks of books that I want to read. 

But most recently I was asked this question by the most unlikely of sources. I had just joined my brother and his children for dinner at their favorite restaurant, Cosi Cucina. I sat down ordered a glass of wine and my 12 year old nephew turns to me and asks me what I'm reading. I literally dropped the menu. That is not a question that typically comes out of a 12 year olds' mouth. And he actually wanted to know. He was looking for book recommendations. And then he had one of his own. 

This kid reads everything he can get his hands on. And I'm so proud. He is working his way through books that are well above his level. He'll be starting the Tolkein trilogy soon. He's already worked his way through the Hobbit. When I think back I don't think even I was reading at this level. 

I just had to share this. I was shocked. I was awed. I hope he one day reads this and realizes how impressed I was with this question. Until then he and I will continue to trade book ideas. He has a lot to teach me. 

No comments: