Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Crafty

Tuesdays have become my knitting nights recently. When my sister and I first started getting together to knit it was almost always on Mondays. I knew that each week I would be busy on Monday nights. But that was back when there was only two of us. Slowly over the last year and a half our knitting group has grown. Tonight we had six people who came out, and there were three others that couldn't make it. We've gotten big. 

With the leaves starting to fall and the weather turning colder I've been in the mood to knit. I'm working on a scarf for a friend and think I'm almost finished. I'm a terribly slow knitter and this is a long scarf and it will eventually have tassles on the end. I'll try to post a picture when I'm done. I think it's the best one I have done so far. Next I plan to either make myself a hat or some socks. 

After I went home I decided that I would look at one of my sister's friends websites. She spins and dyes her own yarns, along with making all sorts of sewn items. And I ended up buying some yarn. Actually I drooled over a lot of yarn and then was disciplined enough to only buy one. But people like my sister's friend make me wish that I was more crafty. She is constantly making things. www.sewspun.com. I am constantly amazed at how she finds the time to create all of these things with two small children and a house to mind. I don't even have children and I don't make things like this. 
Here is just a sample of the yarn that she has made and some rather pretty pumpkins that she's sewn. Thank goodness she has finally opened a store. Check it out. (Mandy, I hope you don't mind that I "borrowed" some of your pictures. It was done with love.) 

I am always fascinated by crafts. One of my other favorite sites Roadside Scholar is predominately an art site but occasionally has crafts. Everything that is feature is interesting or incredible or both. I promised my sister I would find and post a picture of this cashmere elf house from meekssandygirl. (etsy name) I had seen it on the site many months ago and had been just amazed. What sort of pattern do you use for something like this? 

And lastly if you are interested in homemade gifts you need to check out Etsy. www.etsy.com. There are a number of very crafty people out there selling pretty much everything under the sun. It is well worth a look. Here is a screenshot with just some of the things available. 

No comments: