Monday, October 13, 2008

Mrs. Frisby versus Mrs. Brisby


I loved the Secret of NIMH as a child. I watched it over and over. I had the movie storybook. It had cute talking animals that were intelligent and civilized, what more could I want? To be completely truthful I think my young mind had a bit of a crush on Justin, the captain of the guards. Bear with me, I was young. I had always meant to read the book but never seemed to get around to it. It was similar to so many of those books that I should have read as a child but didn't. 

So this past week I picked up the book and finished it in a day. The book actually is called Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien. The character is changed to Brisby in the film. Like the Wind in the Willows, this book is a treasure. The story is engaging, the characters are likable, and the description of the farm and the rats is even more vivid then the film. This is book I would recommend. As a children's story it has some interesting themes of animal experimentation (although not portrayed as a terrible thing in the book), stealing, civilization, and the power of knowledge. 

I decided after finishing the book that I should watch the movie again. I own it so after the Boston/Tampa Bay game I popped in the DVD. And about halfway through I knew it was a mistake. The film is awful. Seriously terrible in comparison to the book. The book offers a more realistic view of the rats, a realistic view of the other animals, and the biggest difference there is no magic. If you remember the mouse's home is finally moved by Mrs. Brisby using the "sparkly" that Nicodemus gave her. In the book there is no magic amulet. There is no annoying crow character. The character of Jeremy, the crow is wise and sensible, except when it comes to shiny things. 

The character of Mrs. Frisby is also very different from the character of Mrs. Brisby. The character in the book is driven to heroics. She may not be the bravest mouse but she knows what she has to do and does it. She thinks constantly of her children and uses her worry for Timothy as a strength. The character in the movie is instead simpering, afraid, and pushed into situations. She is not brave and seems very helpless. She is often pleading for help. The character in the book helps herself and often attempts to help the rats. 

The plot between the book and the movie shares some common elements but the majority of it is different. There is no Jenner looking to overthrow the rats society. Jenner and his comrades have left the colony a while ago and do not return in the book. This drama between Nicodemus and Jenner makes up the majority of the second half of the film. The plan to leave the rosebush is similar but the thought that has gone into it is different. The book goes more into the history of the rats after they escape from NIMH and how they started using tools. And the end is tragic and wonderful at the same time. 

I was shocked and saddened watching this movie. The book is a treasure and the movie turned it into a slapstick comedy and a magical fantasy. I actually came away thinking that maybe the movie shouldn't have been made. This is unusual. Normally the first version of something tends to be my favorite. For books and movies, if I see the movie first I normally like the book and movie equally. If I read the book first it is always better. One of these years I'll remember to just read the book. 

No comments: