Monday, April 12, 2010

Contrariwise

I've been thinking of getting a tattoo for the last decade or so now. I love the idea of etching something onto myself that I can keep as a permanent reminder. I've known what I want, I just haven't figured out where to put it. A while ago I created the design, based off the title of this blog, but I keep holding back because I want to find the perfect place to put it. As you know, once it's on there, it stays.

So knowing that I was interested in tattoos and that I love books, my little sister pointed out the website Contrariwise to me. For those of you who don't know, the title is a reference to Alice in Wonderland. "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrariwise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?” The website shows off book-related and literary tattoos, like the Alice in Wonderland themed beauty below.

Based on the John Tenniel drawing.

Others contain only words like this great section of a poem (A Psalm of Life) by Longfellow below.


The tattoos run the gambit from a simple word to elaborate pictures, often taken from the illustration or simply made up. But all of them are book related. Most of them I would be more than happy to have adorning my body. A couple of the tattoos have led me to seek out new authors and books. I am fascinated by the variety of styles and by the number of authors represented. A fantastic site with some inspiring and fun tattoos.

A wild thing from Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak.

No comments: