Sunday, August 28, 2011

Cthulhu-less

When we were at Gen Con I walked past a man wearing a knitted Cthulhu hat and thought about stopping him to ask for a picture. Now I wish I had. It was one of the best ones I've seen and I would have loved to try to find a pattern for it. And honestly I was just so excited that it wasn't a Jayne hat (we saw plenty of those). I LOVE Firefly but seriously, those hats were everywhere.

Since we've been home I have been looking for a good knitting pattern for a similar hat. In a fit of insanity I went out and bought the perfect dark green yarn to make it out of. And that's when I got stumped. All of the patterns I've found so far are either for sale (I was hoping for free), crochet, or not the style I'm looking for. I've been to hundreds of sites looking at them. Years ago I found one where the tentacles rolled up into the brim. I'd love to find that again.

And to make things worse, I'm not excited about starting anything else until I can do my Cthulhu hat. I'm obsessed. The one pattern that was close, turned out to be crochet even though it was listed as knit. So I'm stumped. But I think I'll just start on that sweater I've been meaning to knit. By the time I finish that I'll either have found the perfect pattern, or forgot that there is such a thing as a Cthulhu hat.

This one is the closest I've found

2 comments:

Partly Cloudy Knitter said...

If it's not on Ravelry then you should design a pattern. And you could get $6 for every download!

Cat B said...

Thanks Partly Cloudy Knitter! ;-)

I've spent a ton of time on Ravelry and still haven't found what I'm looking for. I'd love to make up my own pattern. But I think you overestimate my skills as a knitter. Now you could design one. I know you have the skills.