Friday, January 27, 2012

Poetry Friday

It's Friday and we are sitting on the edge of a snow storm. Nothing major but after the winter we've had, even the slightest snow feels like a betrayal. I have no reason to complain though. It's been the best January ever. Warm and dry. I've been in heaven.

Even with the nice weather I've been hibernating. I go home and make tea and curl up on the sofa to read. I have a stack of books at home from the library that I'm planning to get through this weekend. I can't seem to leave the library without at least a dozen. I'm reading at a frantic rate. It's been a blissful winter so far.

And today I stumbled on a poem that makes me smile. I figured I would share. It's right up my alley for obvious reasons.

My First Memory (of Librarians)
by Nikki Giovanni

This is my first memory:
A big room with heavy wooden tables that sat on a creaky wood floor
A line of green shades--banker's lightes--down the center
Heavy oak chairs that were too low or maybe I was simply too short
                For me to sit in and read
So my first book was always big

In the foyer up four steps a semi-circle desk presided
To the left side the card catalogue
On the right newspapers draped over what looked like a quilt rack
Magazines face out from the wall

The welcoming smile of my librarian
The anticipation in my heart
All those books--another world--just waiting
At my fingertips.

2 comments:

Deena Nicole said...

Lovely post, Cat! I hope you were able to get through some of your books this weekend. I share your love of the written word, and of poetry as well. Here is one of my favorite poems, which captures (in my opinion) how wonderful reading really is. It's from Emily Dickinson:

There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away-
No any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry-
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll-
How frugal is the chariot
That bares the human soul.

Cat B said...

Deena, That gave me chills. Thank you. I love Emily Dickinson.

You'll have to let me know who your favorite writers and poets are. I always love suggestions. And I'm always looking for new poetry that's good. Thank you for sharing this. It made my day!