Friday, August 28, 2009

Mmmmm....Fast Food

Since I've become a vegetarian, I rarely eat at fast food restaurants anymore. It's just so difficult to find anything to order. Even the salads are out since so many of them are premade. Other than Subway, I've stayed well away from them unless I absolutely had to. I've been to KFC twice, Arby's twice, Wendy's once, and McDonald's once. And that's in the last 10 months.

Today though I was hungry for something quick, something I could bring back and eat at my desk, something that was not quite so healthy for me. And luckily I finally have a solution. Burger King offers a Veggie Burger! Not only that, but they use Gardenburger, which is actually somewhat tasty. They're not Boca's but they're tasty enough. So today I went out and bought myself a value meal. A Veggie Burger, fries, and a huge soda. And it was so tasty. I'm sure I'll make that an occasional treat.

The big thing for me is that they offer it. It tends to be a meat eaters world and the fast food world is even more meat crazed. To even give vegetarians an option, is an amazing thing. And a trend that I hope to support. Plus I loved the fact that the toys that came in the kid's meals were from books. Not books becoming movies, but stand alone books (The Dangerous Book for Boys, The Daring Book for Girls). This is a chain that I might be able to support. I know that Burger King is not a particularly conscienous chain, but they seem to be doing better than others. Now if they could just improve their commercials. (I'm not a fan of the king commercials). But at least I can go and pick up a fast food meal and still not have to compromise my principles. Because honestly, there is only so much Subway one can eat.

4 comments:

Salt said...

You know...some people pack their own lunch...and then -- wait for it -- you always get to choose what you want to eat!

Is that not nifty?

Cat B said...

You mean cook?!!!!
What sort of woman do you take me for? ;-)

I should actually pack my lunch more. Going out is expensive plus as a vegetarian I would be eating better by cooking my own meals.

Partly Cloudy Knitter said...

I have a great lunch box!

http://www.happytiffin.com/

It helps me WANT to pack my lunch.
And I have packed whole picnics in the small pyramid one.

Cat B said...

QoE,

That's not just a great lunch box, it's awesome. I'll be ordering one this week. I have a feeling I'd be much more interested in packing a lunch if I got to fill that. Plus I love the idea of several different types of food. Thanks for the suggestion!!