Monday, August 3, 2009

Saving the Earth, One Cool Cup at a Time

I love to buy coffee. I enjoy drinking coffee quite a bit but I really love buying coffee. I love the coffeehouse setting. I love the rich dark roasts. And although I'm ashamed to admit it, I love the paper cup with the plastic lid and the cardboard wrap. I can own as many coffee cups as I like but when I get home on Saturday with a full cup of coffee in a paper cup, I'll refill that cup many times throughout the day with my home brewed coffee. I just love the lids and the shape. There is simply nothing like it in the durable cup market.

Or at least, that is what I thought. That is until I saw DCI's "I Am Not a Paper Cup" mug. DCI stands for Decor Craft Inc. I want this mug. It may look plain and white and boring but it has everything I love about buying my coffee at the coffee house. Except this one can be washed and reused. The cup itself is made out of porcelain. The lid, which is called "I Am Not a Plastic Lid", is made out of silicon. The whole cup is dishwasher safe, durable, and really cool looking. I own my share of coffee cups and travel mugs. but with prices anywhere from $10-$20, I'll consider it an investment for the environment. Saving paper goods never looked so good.

2 comments:

Dan Cook said...

I had a similar experience ditching bottled water recently.

A co-worker turned me on to the Klean Kanteen. http://www.kleankanteen.com/

Doesn't affect the taste of the water at all. And combined with a Brita pitcher, gives you all the drinkable water you could ask for without buying non-biodegradable plastic bottles!

Cat B said...

Good for you, ditching the plastic bottles! I used to have a Brita and loved it but when we moved into the house, we had to stop using it. The area uses well water which was not tasty, even with the brita. We ended up putting a reverse osmosis system on our sink at home.

I hadn't seen the KleanKanteen or I would have bought one. I've been using a Gaiam aluminum bottle and pretty much carry it wherever I go. But I think the KleanKanteen would probably have been a better choice.