Thursday, September 17, 2009

Public Art at its best

I'm sorry about the lack of posting this week. So far this week, work has been unbearably busy. I've been taking work home each evening and then have had dinner or coffee with someone every night. I've had almost no time at home where I wasn't visiting with someone or working on homework. So there has been no time for posting. Which is sad because lately I have a ton of things to talk about.

I'll start with my new favorite find. I've been reading Cute Overload for about a year now. I love that I get to see something adorable every single day. It makes me smile. And this past week I had even more to smile about since they profiled the work of Florentijn Hofman, a dutch artist who specializes in large public art displays. And one of his recent projects is a subject near and dear to my heart. Rubber Duckies.


For those of you who haven't followed me from the beginning I wrote a blog post a while ago about my two rubber collections, rubber duckies and condoms. Yeah I know, kind of a bit odd. But I love rubber duckies. How can you not? And how can you not love a rubber ducky that towers over buildings and boats. Hofman has set up his floating scuplture in several different cities includes ones in Brazil, The Netherlands, Germany, and France. The ducky then spends several months in the city before moving on to its next location. I love Hofman's words about the installment. "The friendly floating rubber duck has healing properties: it can relieve mondial tensions as well as define them. The rubber duck is soft, friendly and suitable for all ages!" I can only imagine how passing by this bright floating icon of cheerfulness would make me smile every morning.
But Hofman has not restricted himself to ducks and his other works have been equally as amusing and beautiful. This rabbit (The Giant of Vlaardingen) was made out of scrap wood and was moved to three locations within the city. Hofman states that the wood was of poor quality but I'm just stunned at how beautiful this rabbit is. And of course scale makes it so much more impressive.

Hofman plays with scale at this exhibit which appeared at Gallery West in The Hague, Netherlands. For the exhibit, Hofman created a large number of stuffed animals many times the size of a regular stuffed animal. They were then placed into the building, crammed into corners and stairwells, and then photographed. The images play tricks on the mind and looking at the photographs I began to think that the building was simply smaller. The photos cleverly do not allow any actual measure of scale. I was impressed by how sad and at times menacing these stuffed toys could looked when I remembered that they were much taller than I was. This huge monkey had to be my favorite.

Over the years I've become a huge fan of public art, particularly cheerful public art. And Hofman is just a master. I'm in love with his ducky series but all of his scupltures have been inventive and beautiful. Hopefully, his duck will make the swim across the pond and set up an installment somewhere in the US. Landlocked as I am, I would make a trek out to see it. With my love of rubber duckies, I could simply consider it a pilgrimage.

5 comments:

Salt said...

I think giant rubber duckies are cool and interesting, but I like Dale Chihuly. Saw a special on his art style on PBS once. Here's his site: http://www.chihuly.com/ , where you can see some of his public installations.

There's one of his pieces in the lobby of the Minneapolis Institute of Arts (same building as the Children's Theater Company, where my brother works, that's how I saw it).

Oh, it's online. http://www.artsmia.org/viewer/detail.php?v=12&id=31146 "Sunburst". Yes, it's really 10 feet across.

Keith said...

Reminds me of The Sultan's Elephant, a street theater piece by Royal De Luxe. I love big pieces of whimsey.

Cat B said...

Lon,

Ahh, Chihuly. His stuff is so incredibly beautiful. Actually Omaha's art museum has one of the first pieces of his I ever saw. I LOVE his work. Here are a few of the pictures of his pieces I've taken. http://cab-ancoraimparo.blogspot.com/2009/01/glass-garden.html

I haven't had a chance to see the one up in Minneapolis yet. Perhaps next time we come up.

Cat B said...

Susskins,

I hadn't heard about this exhibit but the pictures that I found are fantastic. I'll have to do some more reading about this. Thanks.

Keith said...

I recommend this particular video, which focuses on the Little Girl Giant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBXr15K2uSc

So beautiful, and so startlingly alive.