Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Flooding...Maybe....Possibly....Probably

So I went to work today. And although there was some minor street flooding the river stayed mostly in its banks and the world continued on like it was any other day. Last night Saylorville went over its emergency spillway and poured billion of gallons of water down at us. The river rose but not enough to crest the banks. I went to work waiting to be dismissed all day. And for good or for bad, it didn't happen. 

At first they said that this would look nothing like '93. That there was just not going to be that much flooding. Then they said that it would be similar to '93. And now they say that there is no use comparing the two. This year will just be worse. There may be less damage (we are more prepared) but there will certainly be more water. The river outside my office laps at the bottom of the bridge. It will crest the bridge by Sunday at the latest. 

I watched water shoot out of a manhole producing little geysers in the street. Another wobbled around on edge letting out bursts of water. It would have been fun and pretty if it wasn't for the two inches we are supposed to get tonight. "Rain, Rain, Go Away". 

Tomorrow I will get up and check my email before heading to work. I will arrive, replug in my computer and work. Trying to ignore the files piled up on my desk and the fact that my car will need to be moved to higher ground at some point. Tomorrow night I will unplug my computer before going home. Because as they say, this is not an exact science. And we have no idea what tomorrow will bring. 

2 comments:

JG said...

This is the best blog spot I have ever seen. Keep up the good work!

Dad

Cat B said...

Thanks Dad. I'll slip you the five bucks next time I see you. :-)