Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Okay Now I'm Impressed


I'm learning to be a juggler which seems to amaze people. Okay so I have limited depth perception (one bad eye) but that shouldn't make a huge difference. I think people just think that it is really difficult, which isn't true. It's just a lot of practice. A lot of dropping. I love doing it. I'm currently working on my contact juggling. If you don't know what that is check out the first couple minutes of the movie Labyrinth. I'm nowhere near that good. But I'm working on it and having fun. 

Every year me and some friends go to a juggling/unicycle convention up in Minneapolis called Mondo. Here is a picture of Jeff and I at Mondo last year. Note the unicycles in the back. They do unicycle hockey every year. One year we watched unicycle jump-roping. In this picture it almost looks like we know how to pass, huh? 

The one problem with going to Mondo is that I see all sorts of cool juggling. Now that sounds like a good thing but what happens is that I am less impressed with just basic tricks. Three ball juggling doesn't really interest me anymore. I've seen a huge number of tricks. Some impress me, some don't. I get to see people doing club tricks while balancing plates and standing on a balance board. (and trust me that's impressive) But this past week I found a video of a juggler who just floored me. This kid is amazing. This is Vova Galchenko, one of the best in the world. I found this video and had to share it. Amazing. (sorry about the link, my video uploader is not working.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEb3YknGUks

By the way he was at Mondo in 2004. Passing 11 clubs like it was nothing. That was the one year I missed. 

No comments: