Monday, January 5, 2009

I Can Quit Anytime I Like

This phrase gets bandied around my house a lot lately, sometimes by Jeff and lately sometimes by me. And it seems so appropriate for this post. I've always been a moderation person so these past couple of weeks have been odd. Then again there are worse things to be addicted to.

First I have to say that I am humbled and awed by the fact that people read this thing. I do it mostly for fun, mostly for an excuse to write, and mostly because I'm forgetful. This is a great way to remember things. But it is a little off putting when you have just finished bringing down the second boss in Utgarde Pinnacle (Gortok Palehoof) and you are still dealing with some sort of curse. I was bright green and dropping health at an alarming rate. (squishies don't do well with curses) So I'm wondering where my heals are coming from when my guild leader, who happens to be the healer, mentions that sorry he was reading my blog and got distracted. My first thought is "Really!! Yay". The fact that my guild leader reads my blog is exciting. The second thought I had was "hello, still dying". So after I was decursed and healed I whispered him with a "thanks for reading". He said he enjoyed the blog but wanted more WoW stuff. So Nereeza, this is for you! :-)

I can quit anytime I like! Really I'm not addicted. I just don't want to. And no I haven't gone into withdrawl, or dreamt about WoW. No I have never told my husband to hurry his shopping up (at Target no less) so I can get home and play. No I haven't spent an entire weekend in front of the computer only leaving it for breakfast each morning. No I have never spent more time playing WoW in one day then I have working. No I've never eaten dinner in front of the computer. (And if you believe all this I have some very nice oceanfront property in New Mexico to sell you.)

I'm seriously addicted. I figured I would slack off a little once I hit 80. The lure of leveling would be over. But that has simply not been the case. I'm almost ashamed to say that I spent well over 25 hours in front of the computer this weekend. (note the almost) I finished all my Ice Crown solo quests, pugged an Ahn'hahet-Old Kingdom run for a fellow guildy, ran The Culling of Stratholme (literally minutes after finishing Old Kingdom, and last night did Utgarde Pinnacle. I'm signing up for Naxxramas this week. I'm scheduling time to do instances. And I'm desperatly trying to get my tailoring up. I spent part of my day on Friday figuring out all the Knights of Ebon Hold quests so I can get my rep up. I actually played more than Jeff this weekend. (And that is saying a lot)

So this morning I had a touch of guilt that I was not more productive this weekend. I'm supposed to be working on a scarf to give to charity. That didn't even get touched. The poor cat is lonely and bored and only really sees me when she jumps up and plays behind the computer. I keep telling myself that I should be reading, or professional development, or writing books. But for the first time in a while I'm being selfish. I'm letting myself play as much as I want to. But I can quit anytime I like. (Really!!....Maybe....)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww -laughs- ..

.. when people say that they have a lot of fun with a hobby, the more that they do it the more that they enjoy themselves..

It's probably only because it's a "geeky" thing to do that RL people don't quite understand it - but if the average person added up all the tv that they watched in a week, i'm sure that they'd be absolutely astounded..

WOW's very active, not passive like tv.. and there's just so much to do! Questing, instancing, pvping, crafting, rep grinds, exploring.. and socializing! And you know how much i love to chatter!

So keep up the great playing experience Myraina! It's great to see the better half of our favourite hunter!

(Tho' both seem to play pet classes, hmmmmmmm..) -laughs-

Cat B said...

You're actually spot on with the TV comment. The only people who have asked me how I can "waste" time playing WoW, then tell me about all the shows they have Tivo'd.

Hmmm not sure how we ended up both playing pet classes. I've always played magical classes in any game. And for WoW, I just liked the dark nature of the warlock. Didn't know they came with minions. Mwwaaa-haha. :-)

Keep up the chatter! Socializing is definitely one of the good parts of the game.