Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Involvement

As you know I normally try to avoid politics on this blog. I'm just not a huge fan of them. I work too close to the capitol for my tastes and I know too much about the ways in which politics operates to enjoy them. So why did I spend a good chunk of my morning watching the inaguration?

Because I'm excited about our new president. I'm excited about his vision for this county and I'm excited that everyone else is excited. There were several million people in DC today, a turnout that is well beyond any presidential inaguration that we have seen. There were people who stood there in the freezing cold waiting to hear our president speak. Waiting to see him sworn in. And they are excited. There are tears and cheers when this president speaks. He has great charisma.

And more than anything, he makes people feel involved. Today we saw a president who said that we need to help him make changes. It was not just about what the high government officials can do but about what the people should be doing. He won the election because he got people involved. Even his "Yes We Can" theme features one very big word "WE". For a long time I have felt like government didn't really involve the people. It was representation without any real representation. But today I feel like I could actually make a difference. I feel like I have some control on what happens. I'm excited and inspired. And that doesn't happen with politics very often.

No comments: