Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Speed

When I was younger my mother would tell me that her years passed by faster the older she got. I was young and the days seemed to stretch on for eternity. So of course, I didn't believe her. I almost hoped for the years to go faster. I wanted to reach 13...16...18....21. I was ready to grow up and, at that time, time moved too slowly for me.


I started noticing it at 25. A subtle shift in time. A speeding up. And this last couple years I've really been feeling the speed. I know that my years have not actually sped up but with relativity they certainly feel quicker. This year has passed in a blur. With all the changes around the house I can hardly recognize who I was in January but it also feels like I blinked and missed most of the year. Each day (particularly the work days) seemed to drag but the weeks flew and the year passed me by way too quickly. It feels like only a couple weeks ago that it was summer. Now it's the end of the year.



So like each New Years before it I'll make my resolutions (should I be scared that they are almost always the same ones?) and watch the next year fly by. I'm hoping to actually get to some of those resolutions, particularly the weight and writing ones. I've made a deal with myself to lose 33 pounds this year (my 33rd one). I've also made a deal with myself to write everyday if only for 15 minutes. Now if I could only make a deal with myself to slow down time.

Clock image from Salvador Dali's The Persistence of Memory.

No comments: