Thursday, November 13, 2008

Cleansing post

I spent a good deal of yesterday researching the egg industry in the United States. Part of my job includes putting aside my personal feelings about something and learning as much as I can about a specific topic. Most of the time I can be slightly impartial. This was not the case with this topic. I could only do any serious research in 45 minute increments. Then I would be so sick that I would have to find something else to look at. As a semi-vegetarian, yesterday was enough to almost push me straight into vegan. Or at least make sure every egg I eat is from a free-range humanely treated chicken.
Actually I will make a plea to support California egg growers. California passed Proposition 2 in this last election that requires that all animals raised for food must be held in spaces that allow them the freedom to lie down, stand up, and stretch their legs. For many cows, pigs, and especially chickens, this has not been an option in the past. The egg growers are saying that this will bankrupt the California egg industry. If we can prove to them that humanely raised animals can still be profitable, there is a chance to move that legislation nation-wide.

But I didn't start this post to talk about the terrible things I saw and read yesterday. Instead I wanted to talk about one of the fun artists I found while looking for something to cleanse my head. With eggs on the brain, I happened to stumble upon Jeff Koons and this sculpture.


I love the glass and the delicate nature of this sculpture. Koons is a very interesting artist, using mostly pop culture references. I remember when the Des Moines Art Center purchased one of his pieces. There was a huge uproar. The art center had paid several million dollars for three shop vaccuums stacked on top of each other in lighted boxes. Similar to this.

But I love Koons' sense of fun. This has to be one of my favorite sculptures.


I love how he uses unusual materials to create his art. The glass instead of the balloon. The use of shop vacs as art. Modern art for me has always been about finding new materials and using them in a way not used before. Koons definately does that. Plus how can you not smile when you see these.

2 comments:

Keith said...

I love his flowers. So oddly beautiful.

Cat B said...

All the work of his I looked at was interesting. Yes his flowers are beautiful. I'm not sure I really liked his Michael Jackson though. A little too strange. :-)