Saturday, November 15, 2008

Sleeping In

For the last two months or so I've been dealing with a frustrating case of insomnia. I have no problem staying asleep. It's the falling asleep that's the problem. I go to bed at 11 or so on work nights and then lie awake until 1 or 2 in the morning. When the alarm goes off at 6 I tend to be dead tired. It's frustrating and stressful and hopefully curable. 

Yesterday was my birthday and my family kept asking what they could get me as a gift. You can tell how old you are by how practical the gifts you ask for are. One year I asked for a file cabinet. Another year I asked for a vacuum. This year I asked for a white noise generator. Yeah I've become seriously old. 

Here's the odd part, I love my gift. I slept with it last night and I slept like a baby. I turned the thing on to night noises, crickets and wind, and dropped off within minutes. I was woken at four by my noisy neighbors coming home and leaving the engine running. While that would normally keep me awake with anxiety for hours, I fell back to sleep in minutes. I woke up to realize that I'd slept over 8 hours. It felt fantastic. I think that may be the best gift ever. 

No comments: