Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Fever

I know you're all tired of hearing it but if you haven't had a chance to get out and vote, do it. I went this morning at 7:15 and was the 80th person through my polling place. My hope is that this means that there will be a good turnout. I've had smaller elections where I went at 6:00 pm and was the 80th person. In Des Moines we don't tend to get the huge crowds that some of the polling places in New York seemed to have today. The lines around the block have been encouraging.

Now I don't tend to be a political person. My idea tends to be that the less the government does, the better. My dad once told me that the best situation is to have a Democratic president and a Republican Congress or vice versa. Less gets done that way. Cynical I know but that seems to be the overwhelming response before this election. Suddenly everyone is excited about politics and I have to admit that I have been swept up in the fever. My plan for this evening is to go home, turn on the TV and watch the results roll in. I've never done that with any election before. Now I'm not going to say that the computer won't be on during the whole thing. I'm sure Jeff will talk me into playing some WOW. But Tuesdays are traditionally my knitting night. But I don't really want to go tonight. And everyone who normally knits with me says the same. They want to stay home tonight and watch. History is about to be made, no matter who wins.

And today is a proud day to be an American. I love election day. The actual election process gets old fast but election day is wonderful. This one started almost two years ago and has been the focus of more media coverage than any other before it. I get three or four political campaign calls a day and I hate those. But election day is special. I get to go and cast MY vote for who I want. I get to stand in line with my fellow Americans (and that is one of the few days we call ourselves that) and make my small voice heard. I get to do something that some countries' citizens don't get to do. And for that I'm proud. I don't care who you vote for, I don't want to know. That's between you and the voting booth. But if you want to complain during the next four years about who our president is, make sure you've said your piece and cast your vote.

No comments: