Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Fruits of Winter

Last night we had freezing rain, tonight we'll have snow. It is now officially winter in my book. Anyone who knows me, knows that I hate winter. I've always said that people should only complain about one season. Winter is it for me. You won't hear me say a word when it hits 100 degrees with 80% humidity. But the moment it drops below 32 degrees, expect some swearing. 

So I find it strange that I absolutely love the fruit of winter. Yes I'm talking about the Pomegranate. Pomegranate are not easy fruits but they are incredibly tasty. And it's also why (according to the Greeks) we have winter. When I was in the grocery store this past Sunday I noticed that they were starting to stock pomegranates in the produce aisles. This early they aren't quite right yet. Wait until right before Thanksgiving and they will be perfect. 

The Greek story of winter focuses on Persephone, goddess of the harvest. One beautiful day she was playing in a field when Hades, lord of the underworld, appeared and carried her down to the underworld to be his bride. Persephone's mother Demeter, was furious with the abduction and vowed that the earth would not produce food until she was returned. Finally Hades relented but before doing so he gave Persephone some pomegranate seeds. She ate those, and according to Greek tradition, became bound to the underworld. The agreement reached is that Persephone would spend some of her time in the underworld, during which time nothing would bloom or grow(winter). And then after three months she would be returned to the upper world, and the plants would begin to grow again (spring). 

So of all of my hatred for winter the pomegranate, the "cause" of all that misery, is still one of my favorite fruits. If you have never had one I would recommend trying one. As I mentioned they are not easy fruits. They are reddish color outside and seem to grow in an almost square shape. The fruits inside are full of juice and very delicate. I tend to peel the fruit very gently until I reach the seeds. Then I pull off each seed separately adding them to a tupperware container. This is time consuming. The juice doesn't stain but it can be messy. Normally I buy two at a time, prep them right away, and then snack at my leisure. You eat the whole seed including the pit. A handful of these is not only healthy for you (good antioxidents) but very flavorful. A beautiful fruit. Even if it does cause winter. :-(

No comments: