Sunday, November 2, 2008

New Toy!


I'm pleased to announce a new addition to our household. A Wii Fit!! After many, many months of searching Jeff and I finally stumbled on one in Target this morning. It just seemed too good to be true. We had both decided that we would splurge on the DVD edition of Star Wars (the originals, of course). When we walked into the video game aisle and saw it. Star Wars went back to the shelf immediately. I stood guard while Jeff went to find a salesclerk. And I was not about to let anyone else pick it up. I Saw It First! Luckily no one challenged me. I'm pretty sure I would have brought out the claws. 

So we got our new baby home and hooked it up. Now I wasn't sure what to expect. I'd heard from friends who had one but never been able to try or even seen the games. I was shocked. By the end of the strength training session I was sweating. By the end of the aerobic section, I was panting. And by the end of my entire 30 minute time playing, my legs were jelly. I'm so out of shape.

And the Wii was sure to remind me how out of shape I am. The game takes your weight, calculates your BMI, and then reminds you (sometimes gently, sometimes not) that you are doing things wrong. My balance was so off that my trainer continually asked me if I was putting my other foot down (I was) and then remind me that balance is one of the most important things for people as they age. Was the thing calling me old? Turns out it was. My physical age turned out to be a decade older than my actual age. Ouch! 

So I have big plans. I'm going to try to get up early every morning to workout with the thing. 30 minutes a day should be perfect. It's cheap (now that I own it), at home (perfect for the cold Iowa winters), and actually fun. I don't even mind the running portion. We'll see how well I do. Right now my intentions are the best. 

2 comments:

Josh said...

Congrats on finding one! I think it's great for balance and strength, but I'm not convinced on the cardio portion to this point. Every little thing you can do helps, though!!

Cat B said...

Thanks. I was so excited when I saw it at the store. I'll have to play with the cardio more and see what I think. All I know is that I have no balance whatsoever. It's just pathetic watching me try to do the tree yoga pose.