Monday, December 15, 2008

Book Review: Lolita


When Vladimir Nabokov published his controversial novel in 1955 it was in Paris, not in the U.S. where he had been living for some time. The novelist had published nine novels in Russia before moving to the US. No American publisher would touch the novel calling it salacious and filthy. Today it is a regularly banned book and still incites controversy whenever it is read.

I'm not sure where I picked up a copy of the novel. It has been listed as one of the greatest books ever written and among the most disgusting. As a big believer that books, of all natures, should be read I decided that I had to choose for myself which category it best fit into. I had originally planned to read the book for Banned Book Week in September but was busy and didn't pick it up until early November. Even with that it took me almost a month to pull through.

The story of course, for those who don't know, follows Humbert Humbert as he lusts after his 12 year old step-daughter. Humbert has a particular fancy for young girls (10-14) which in now days society would have him listed on the sex offender registry in every state. He meets Lolita with her mother at their home, manages to marry said mother, and then when the mother is killed picks up his "daughter" and abducts her on a cross country trek.

While Nabokov's prose style is tough the book is very well written. But that, for me, didn't make up from the fact that it is not an easy subject matter to read. This story is basically the repeated rape of a young girl told through the eyes of her rapist. While I am not shocked by the contents nor would I discourage anyone from reading the book, it will not go on my best books of all time list.

Nabokov's true strength in this novel is the use of narrator. By having Humbert narrate his own story we get a chance to see more clearly the mind of a pedophile and rapist. Even Humberts attempts to justify his behavior make him more hated to the reader. Nabokov has created an anti-hero to rival Alex from A Clockwork Orange. This is the most powerful part of the novel. While Nabokov said that he never wrote moralistic fiction, there is a distinct moral to the novel as Humbert goes to meet the man that pulled his Lolita from him. Humbert, when confronting him, calls the man a rapist and defiler and I defy any reader to not see the exquisite irony in those words.

Voltaire is attributed as saying "I disapprove of what you say but I defend to the death your right to say it." (the quote was actually made up by a later author but attributed to Voltaire's attitude) But this quote works perfectly for my opinion on this piece. I disliked the subject matter of the book, enjoyed the writing, and was mildy ill while reading but I will never say that people can't or shouldn't read this book. It is powerful in many ways and well worth reading. Just be warned that this will create some pretty strong emotions, in yourself and others.

No comments: