Sunday, December 7, 2008

Give it to us raw and wriggling

Okay well maybe not wriggling. But definitely raw. (By the way, big points if you can identify the title quote). Over the last five years I have become a sushi fan. I realized when I started to become a vegetarian that eating out would be nearly impossible for me if I didn't eat at least fish. Most of the issue I have with meat is a taste and texture issue but fish doesn't pose that problem. So when people ask I say I'm not a vegetarian, I'm a pescatarian. 

Now texture is a big thing for me when eating. I have problems with some forms of eggs just because of the texture. My first attempt at an anchovy was comical and disgusting because of texture. So everyone assumed I'd have an issue with sushi. Then I tried it. No problem. In fact it's something I've started craving. Something about a thin slice of raw fish draped over rice simply makes my mouth water. Tonight I went to Taki, one of the local sushi places, for salmon nigiri, eel nigiri, and a spicy tuna roll. Mmmmm. 

This of course compares with Friday night's dinner. Jeff and I went out to celebrate Independence Day at BoneFish Grill. This place just opened near us and I've been meaning to try it. Everyone says it is good. I had the ahi tuna. The meal had a nice piece of fish, but it was the thickest cut I have ever seen on a tuna. It was more like chunks of tuna. The interior was pink and the outside was seared but the restaurant committed an unforgivable sin. I had to bring out my knife to cut my fish. That, for me, is simply not acceptable. The meal was still good. We drank wine and enjoyed the food, but I probably won't be back. If I want good fish, I'll make sure it isn't cooked. 

No comments: