Friday, December 5, 2008

Independence Day!!!


This post is really for Jeff because today is a special day for us. An anniversary of sorts. Nope not the day we were married, or engaged, or met. Many people would be offended that we celebrate this anniversary. But it means a lot to us. Today is Independence Day. Five years ago, on a Friday just like today, Jeff got himself fixed.

Most people would be shocked that I would A. talk about his vasectomy and B. celebrate it. But it took me a long to time to get to the decision to let him have it and we still claim that it was the best $80 we ever spent. (And I love that insurance covered it). Today is special for me because it provided us with independence. I no longer have to worry about what would happen if I got pregnant. I have time now to dedicate to the things that I want to do. I can relax on the couch and read a book all afternoon without having to worry about what the kids need. I can play WoW until 2 in the morning without having to deal with small children the next day. I know that for a lot of people that sounds selfish, and maybe it is, but this is the only life I get. I want the time to use for the things I enjoy.

One of the King Arthur stories that really left an impression on me was the story of Gawain and Dame Ragnall. I won't tell the whole story here but in order to save Arthur, Gawain agrees to marry a hideous witch. The witch had challenged to two men to find out what women want and when they failed to do so, he is forced to marry. On their wedding day, the witch offers Gawain a choice. She can be beautiful during the day, when they are with people, but hideous at night when she is with him. Or she can be hideous during the day, but beautiful at night for him. Gawain asked her to make the choice, saying she had to live with the results. And that she revealed is what women want, Choice. I have to agree. I love being able to choose what to do with my hours.

So tonight Jeff and I will go out to some beautiful restaurant, where the linens are starched and the food looks like it was prepared by artists. We will probably buy a bottle of white and toast to our freedom. We'll talk about movies and politics and WoW. And I won't have to cut up anyone's food. I love my life. Viva la independence!

No comments: