Thursday, June 11, 2009

Bug Art

I had mentioned before how my mother collects interesting insects. It's a hobby that can lead to some beautiful wall decorations along with some creepy ones. The bird eating spider is a bit much. The walking stick insect is beautiful. I had mentioned before about Michelle Stitzlein's found art insects thinking that those would be right up her alley. But today while looking at Drawn.ca, I found another amazing example of insect art that I might have to look into getting for her.

Mike Libby takes the actual specimens of insects and inserts mechanical parts to create his art. His beetles have propellers and gears. His grasshoppers receive springs. And everything is unbelievably beautiful. Libby describes it as the ultimate mix of science fiction and science. He says that so many science fiction pieces depict insects as robotic and that now scientist are studying insect behavior to learn more about mechanical movement. This is a beautiful blend of nature and machinery. I was enchanted by his work. So many beautiful insects. I have included one picture as a tease but you really need to head over to his site, Insect Lab Studios to see the rest. Gorgeous. And perhaps I have a new idea of a present for mom.

No comments: