Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Looking for Group

It's not often that I get to say this. I completely adore a sadistic, egotistical, violent, undead warlock. As most of you know I'm a pacifist, vegetarian, wouldn't hurt a spider kind of girl. So I'm not sure why Richard of Looking for Group comics struck a chord with me. His first act in the comic series is to incinerate a bunny. And it only gets worse from there.

A friend of mine turned me on to the series over the weekend when he lent me his copy of the book. I devoured it in one afternoon. The action adventure series is hilarious. The story follows Cale, a blood elf (hunter?) who is looking to make things right in the world. He is joined by a alignment questionable Troll priest, a sweet and bookish Tauren, a dwarven bard/warrior, and of course Richard. All of the character have their own humor but it is Richard that makes me laugh out loud. He is just so downright evil.

At one point in the series he is shrunk down and mistaken for a child. He's taken to one of the local nurseries. When the team pulls him out he simply can't understand why he couldn't stay at the buffet. Or when he incinerates two suspects and then tries to interrogate them. Eventually ending with a sad downcast look and the words "interrogations are hard".

The story is mostly sequential so if you start reading it you will need to start at the beginning. The writing by Ryan Sohmer is brilliant and any fan of Dungeons and Dragons or World of Warcraft will love the humor. The art, which is done by Lar deSouza, is just hilarious. His take on characters like Tim, the dim witted orc who follows Cale around calling him chicken, is wonderful. The images are colorful and cartoony and somehow that makes the absurdity of the scenes and the violence of Richard funny. These guys are brilliant. You may already have read their Least I Could Do webcomic which is also hilarious, although I'll warn you--not work appropriate. But Looking for Group has to be one of the best new webcomics I have found in a while. I'm already looking into purchasing printed copies. For a taste of the series, or to read the whole thing, head to Looking For Group. And don't mind Richard, he's chaotic evil. It's all in his alignment.

No comments: