Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Keeping busy

I had originally planned to post every day or every other day but life appears to be getting in the way. Shocker of all shockers I haven't even had time for any World of Warcraft. The guild is beginning to wonder where I am. The same cannot be said for Jeff, who spends most of his waking non-work hours playing. 

Work has been crazy with training and learning since we rolled out Office 2007. I may be incredibly naive but I have to admit I really like the changes. It seems more user friendly and far more understandable. And I may be the only person in the world who enjoys tech training sessions. Last fall I did three days of GIS training and you would have thought I was in heaven. When I was at the library recently I picked up a book on webpage design through HTML and CSS. I'll be reading that at the same time as The Five Laws of Library Science. Yeah, you're jealous.

Home has been full too. We have a party we are hosting tomorrow night so I have been cooking and making centerpieces since I got home, which was about 8:30 after running errands. The centerpieces actually turned out semi-decently. I'll try to post a picture later. I'm pretty proud. 

My big excitement is that I have finally stopped attacking myself for not writing and gone with the more nature way. Telling myself stories. With a tape recorder. I have told myself stories since I could talk. I would most often just think of the stories but as I got older I found that I flesh out the story more if I talk it aloud. Now days I most often tell them in the car. I think it's a little easier for Jeff then a wife who is constantly talking about characters or making up conversations. So now I simply drive along and talk to myself. I'm sure the neighboring drivers think I'm insane. But it has been a constant diversion for me and a chance to reinvent myself and my characters. I had never really thought to capture those on tape before. I dug out my old tape recorder (yes the kind that still uses mini-cassettes) and a couple AA batteries and am now a crazy lady who talks to herself and tapes it at the same time. I'm excited to see how much of a story I can generate this way. 

No comments: