Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

No not spring and summer although that is part of it. It's Cricket Season!!! Ever since Jeff took up this little sport I have been enamored. Not just because all the guys are wonderful and treat me like family. Not just because I get to hang out with the amazing international crowd in Iowa. And not just because I love the chance to sit out on a Saturday morning and watch the field and the birds and the game. I love the game itself. So much so that baseball is now boring to me. 

I mean how exciting is an at bat when you know that the person has another coming up in a half an hour. Now with cricket, when you're out, you sit down for the rest of the game. No more batting for you. That means a lot more tension and a lot less forgiving of mistakes. 

When we were in Australia, Jeff and I had the chance of seeing a match at the amazing Sydney Cricket Grounds. But we were rugby mad at the time and ended up seeing a rugby match. Not that I regret that in the least. But to see where the international Aussie cricket team plays. Wow that would have been cool. 

So we went out this morning in the rain with the thought that there was no chance that we would play. Cricket is even pickier than baseball about the field. But I guess if you were playing on concrete you would be too. But surprise, surprise we played. A shorter 25 over match. But we played. And Jeff hit a six. His first. He'll be living on that for a while. 

I know that I'm pretty much writing this for me. I'm sure no one is reading, particularly this early but I just have to say, it was great to be back with my boys of summer. At least one new face this year and I'm sure he'll fit in beautifully. With the way the guys accepted Jeff and adore him as the token American (no longer token white guy thanks to Chris) I'm sure this new guy will fit in. And really the way the guys have accepted me as one of them. I go to Hooters for wings and beer after the games. And I noticed this year that most of the guys have no issues padding up in front of me anymore. Mmmm half naked men and cricket, could life get any better. 

Summer starts for me when the first cricket ball is bowled. I'm so glad it's here. 

No comments: