Thursday, May 29, 2008

Like a Kid in a Candy Store

Quite literally. I was in Chicago this past weekend for my uncle's funeral. It was a really hard couple of days although it was wonderful to get to see my extended family. I got to see aunts and uncles that I hadn't seen in years. I got to meet some of the wonderful friends my uncle had. And I got to relive a bit of my childhood. 

My uncle would come out to Des Moines for the Planned Parenthood book sale every year. This is a huge sale with some great deals on some old and interesting books. I still go every year. But the part we loved about his visits is that he would always bring us candy. And not just snickers bars. He would bring us old candy. Like these little gems. 

Marpo Yum Yum Marshmallow Cones!!! So I walked into the break room at the funeral parlor and what do I spy. These. My cousin had found them as a little tribute to my uncle. We ate almost the entire box. And then I stopped into the candy store she had found them in and bought some to take home. Jeff doesn't really care for them so they are all mine. All their marshmallowy goodness. Here's a picture of the actual cone. The marshmallow is a  little stiff on the outside and chewy on the inside. The cone is just like any other ice cream cone. These are actually very tasty. 



Since we had the chance I also picked up Satellite Wafers (see below) and candy cigarettes at the same store. Satellite Wafers are basically communion wafers with little candy pellets inside. They are still as bad as I remember. Not that bad taste is stopping me from eating them. I absolutely loved them as a child. A blast from the past. One last delivery by my uncle. He will be missed.










No comments: