Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Lion In Winter


I love going to the zoo in the winter and particularly with our zoo (Blank Park Zoo). A couple years ago the zoo opened an indoor section which is very nice. Since then it has started staying open on nice days in the winter. So yesterday was beautiful here so Jeff and I went out for breakfast and then went down to the zoo. It was pretty busy but still not summer busy. And as always visiting the zoo in winter was magical. 

This trip I didn't have my camera but I figured it wasn't a big deal. I was wrong. The new red pandas stuck their tongues out at us. The birds were close enough to let them eat out of our hands. (we didn't feed them but we were close enough to) And the lions were pressed up against the visitors glass (mostly to avoid the snow). We watched an adorable gibbon grab leaves through her bars and eat them. And I found a bizarre little lizard that I spent at least 20 minutes just watching breathe. (Axolotl for those interested) 

The great thing about the zoo in the winter is that the animals are bored so they look forward to the few visitors they get. One year we went for my birthday (November) and my mother was able to play with the tigers. It was so cute to watch her run on her side of the fence and this big beautiful tiger to run on his side of the fence. The indoor tiger would put its paws up on the glass to greet us. A llama nearly followed us around the zoo. It was amazing. Here's Jeff with our new friend.

Over the years we have almost always made a trip to the zoo in the winter. And we have taken some beautiful pictures. And video. This is a video from last year's trip where the otters were amazingly active. Too much fun. Ignore the commentary...not my most eloquent moments. :-) 

No comments: