Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Light and Heavy Reading

When I say that I am always reading, please understand that it may not necessarily be what you consider good reading. I love a good classic but sometimes I just want to read something light. A friend of mine recently mentioned that he gets "long book melancholy" and we started talking about what the means to each of us. For me, when I am finished with some sort of long heavy book I have to read something light. Normally for me that means comics. 

So I'm in a bit of reading funk. I haven't been reading anything serious lately. I'm lucky I can even read my work stuff. So I've been devouring comics. This works perfectly because my mother just bought Jeff a number of books of Pearls Before Swine. So I have stolen them and am working my way rapidly through. I'm not sure why I love this strip by Stephan Pastis but I do. Perhaps it is the mix of the cynical and mean Rat with the wonderfully good-natured but dumb Pig. (Yes those are their names). Goat is a incredibly bright friend who puts up with the two and Zebra attempts to outsmart the Crocodiles living next door who wants to eat him. The strip is zany and sometimes thought provoking. The humor is really dark (lots of death jokes) or puns, both of which I enjoy. With a combination like that, I'm hooked. Both Jeff and I have been through four books in the last couple days. If nothing else, they simply make me smile. 


As for Heavy reading, that's not even all that heavy. Tonight I'm going to read through the Elitist Jerks section on Warlocks. Last night I ran Utgarde Keep and only managed to pull in an average dps of 860. Not nearly high enough. My goal is to be over 1200 dps on any instance. So I will be doing some studying tonight. And spending some time at the training dummies. And then when I'm tired and ready for a laugh, I'll pull out some comics. 

No comments: