Sunday, February 1, 2009

Saturday Morning Cartoons

Okay by the time I'm actually writing this, it is Sunday morning. I've had family in town all weekend and have been busy with them. I figure I can sacrifice some sleep to write. Oh what am I talking about, I'm never in bed before 2 on weekends. 

As I've mentioned a couple times I'm a huge fan of animation. Originally that was simply Disney films but over the years I have developed a love for all types of animation. Perhaps the same part of my brain that adores children's books, is stimulated by a simple animated film. I had started reading Adam Rex's blogs a year ago or so. And Adam Rex led me to Irene Gallo at Tor. Tor is a wonderful fantasy/Sci-Fi publisher and Irene works with the art side of the business. Let me think, fantasy and artwork. A perfect combination for me. 

And then I found the Saturday Morning Cartoon segment of the blog. I spent a couple days watching each of the animated features. Irene adds a new pair either weekly or every other week. Recent addition Al Dente is classic animation telling the very disturbing and sweet story of a little girl outsmarting a giant. One Rat Short, posted back in October 2008, is one of the saddest, most emotionally complex 10 minutes I've ever seen. I has more personality than some full length features I've seen. How Wings Are Attached to the Backs of Angels is disturbing, dark, and oddly hypnotic. Space Alone is very sad but cute. And Wind Along the Coast or When the Day Breaks just make me happy for reasons I can't describe. Any of the films posted is wonderful in their own way. 

No comments: