Friday, February 6, 2009

Unexpected Puppets

I'm always amazed how the internet leads you deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole. I find a blog that leads me to another blog which leads me to another. And each step I find more beautiful and interesting things. Although perhaps I should leave some bread crumbs to find my way out.

I have a number of art blogs that I read but one of my recent favorites is Drawn: The Illustration and Cartooning Blog. This multi-author blog showcases a ton of interesting artists and some incredible video, illustration, and sometimes downright strange art. A bit ago that blog pointed out a different blog which I went to and now I'm hooked on. One1more2time3's blog is written by Hans Bacher, a major film art designer who has worked for companies like Disney, Amblin, and his own MadTParty studio. His blog is filled with the background artwork from all my favorite Disney films along with some of his own images and his favorite artists. I'm already planning to pick up his book Dream Worlds about his time working with Disney.

It is through his blog that I found out about Jiri Trnka. Trnka was a Czech book illustrator who become a film maker. But not just any type of film. Trnka specialized in stop-motion puppet films. His beautiful works include an amazing version of Midsummer Nights Dream (image below), The Czech Years, The Cybernetic Grandmother, and The Hand. These puppet films were unique in that Trnka did not really create them for children. Films like The Hand were a very dark look at the effects of totalitarian governments on free expression and art. Midsummer Nights Dream, no matter what some people say, is not a children's story.



Since first learning about Trnka, I have been reading what I can about him. Referred to as the Walt Disney of the East, Trnka was loved for his work but found it difficult to sell some of his films. Many of his films were banned in his own country and abroad. Trnka was creating these films in the late 40s, 50s and 60s in a Communist country. His puppet work was initially loved by the masses but carefully controlled by the regime. His movie The Hand, which was his last, was banned shortly after its release.
I've been hunting out his films, some of which can be found on the internet. I've linked to them where possible. I also found a beautiful stop motion paper film called the Merry Circus which is incredible. While most of them are not in English the visuals make up for that. These films truly show how beautiful puppets can be. And as is the case with so many of his films how poignant.

Image from The Hand.

Jiri Trnka

No comments: