Thursday, February 12, 2009

Temptation Wears White Frosting

I'm not much of a girly girl. My poor husband rarely gets to see me in a skirt and heels. I don't buy or wear a lot of dresses and I own approximately 7 pairs of shoes. (two of which are sandals) So when a good friend of mine from work held a Silpada party, I told her I would go but don't expect much. I don't normally attend sales parties and I refuse to hold any of my own. I'm not a salesman and I have even less interest in selling to my friends.

But I went and had a nice time. I even ended up buying something. My friend really appreciated me being willing to go. And to show her appreciation, she did the worst thing she could possibly do. She introduced me to a cupcake.

Not just any cupcake, but Starbucks' Vanilla Bean Cupcake. Now I don't normally like Starbucks. I tend to go with independents or with Caribou. (A Minnesota based chain). But since I've had my first taste of this crack disguised as pastry, I've been stalking Starbucks stores. I've found all the ones around my house and around work. I'm scrimping on calories in other places to be able to afford one. (I'm faithfully counting calories these days) I actually told myself today that I could just have celery for dinner if it would allow me a second one. They are seriously like crack.

It's a standard vanilla cupcake, topped with generous amounts of buttercream frosting with vanilla bean pieces, and sprinkled on the edges with sugar. And they are completely addictive. The barista today told me that they are his favorite pastry in the store. They melt in your mouth with their soft cake and perfect frosting. I would have licked the wrapper clean if there hadn't been so many people in the store. So as they say, no good deed goes unpunished. But this is a sweet kind of torture.

No comments: