Thursday, March 5, 2009

Gooses, Geeses

Okay yesterday was all rant and darkness. Today is all goodness and light. The difference, about 20 degrees. Actual temperature degrees. The weather hit 68 today which for March, is a veritable heat wave. I decided to celebrate by grabbing a sandwich and heading out to the nearest lake to soak up the warmth and the rays. Apparently so did everyone else. The lake (Grey's Lake for those who live in Des Moines) was packed. They have added some really nice facilities there and now it has become the place to see and be seen.

Not looking for a crowd, I headed right across the street to Water Works Park. I followed the paths back deep into the park, stopped the car, and ate my lunch while sitting on the hood of the car. It was magical. Just me and the geese. Now I know what at least some of you are thinking, Canadian geese are nasty. Many people seem to think of them as pests. I think they are beautiful. The colorations on them are really pretty when you look close. And they are so much more interesting than ducks. Plus you have to admire the waddle. It's almost comical. I got out my binoculars and watched them walk gingerly across the frozen ponds. I had a small group that came pretty near to the car. They didn't beg and I didn't feed them. (there are signs up everywhere) We just sat and calmly ignored each other.

I'm terrible about getting out birding in the winter. I know there are many species that stay over the winter and that I should get out to see them. But the layers I have to wear and the cold keep me from really enjoying. So I tend to stay in during the winter. Which is why I'm so ready for spring. Today felt like spring. I walked back into the office with a deep feeling of calm that I haven't had in a long time. I felt relaxed and refreshed and ready. Thanks to a beautiful day and some geese.

No comments: