Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Musical Genius

Bill Engvall once quipped that he was 45 degrees off cool. I find I'm very much the same way. By the time I learn about a new musical group or new artist they seem to have become mainstream. I only seem to watch TV shows after they have gone off the air. I'm always a step or two behind.
But I thought I was good with my new discovery, until I talked to my sister.

"So I've found a new musician who is just amazing."
"Who is it?"
"Andrew Bird"
"Oh yeah he's great, lots of whistling".

So apparently my sister and half of Des Moines knows about Andrew Bird. I had very recently missed his concert at Hoyt Sherman (a beautiful and tiny venue that would have been perfect to see him perform). But I guess he had performed this past year at our new music festival in Des Moines. I'm so behind on the times. The internet is flooded with videos, interviews, and fan sites. Not a newcomer by any stretch.

But it's with good reason that he is getting recognized. The man is a musical genius. Andrew Bird is a classically trained violinist, who has branched out from classical into a more alternative musical style. He stands on the stage, with a single drummer behind him, and plays the violin, the guitar, a glockenspiel, whistles, and sings. Using a loop track he can create music that would require multiple musicians normally. Here is a video of him performing Imitosis where you can watch all the transitions.

Andrew's lyrics tend to be verbose, using more three dollar words than some textbooks. Each song of his has an incredibly different sound and it is said that he hates to repeat. That can even include choruses which he uses pretty sparingly. His lyrics are interesting and create more of a mood than tell a story. He is more interested in combining rhymes than sometimes making sense. But you listen to him for the music. His violin playing is beautiful and sometimes offbeat. He likes to pluck the violin to produce unusual sounds. His guitar playing is excellent but it's been his whistling that most people mention. He has been described as a virtuoso whistler. I can whistle about three notes, his can run the scales. It is haunting and beautiful. The gorgeous video of Spare-Ohs showcases it nicely.

I've read quite a few interviews with Andrew discussing his play style. I guess he starts by just playing with sounds. He lives out on his family's farm in Illinois and uses the barn to just mess around with different sounds, melodies, and styles. His pieces performed lives sound very different from his recorded works but they are both good. He has been listed as an artist that is just as good live as recorded (a rare thing).

So I missed seeing him in concert last month but I won't make that same mistake again. It's not often that a musical genius comes around. I plan to see him the next chance I get.

No comments: