Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Pretty Place

I'm not a religious person. I'm actually not even that spiritual. So how is it that in the last year I have found two chapels that I wouldn't mind visiting? The first was mentioned here and is in Bella Vista, Arkansas. I love the serenity of the place. The surrounding woods. It appears like something out of a painting rather than a real place. And I know I'll eventually make a trip down to see it.

The other I found when I was doing some digging on Asheville, North Carolina. If I could choose any city to live in, regardless of income or jobs, this would be the city. Just look at these images. Gorgeous. Asheville is not only beautiful but the population is educated and mostly liberal. It has been listed as one of the best medium size cities for vegetarians and has easy access to two sets of mountains. It is a major tourist destination for its easy access to nature and has a mild enough climate that even I could be happy with it.


As I was looking for information on the city I stumbled across the Fred W. Symmes Chapel or as it is commonly called Pretty Place Chapel.

The chapel was built in 1941 by Fred Symmes for the YMCA Camp Greenville. The chapel is used mostly by the camp but hundreds of couples have been married here. The chapel has hosted weddings, memorials, and other services. And I can see why. This view, from the top of Standing Stone Mountain, is just stunning.


I have to go make a visit. The camp and Pretty Place were just recently threatened by fire in February of this year. The firefighters were able to contain the blaze and it did not hit the chapel. Given a little time the flora and fauna will return to the basin. Life finds a way. This place, like the other chapel I mentioned before, is beautiful because of it's connection with nature. And that is the closest to a religion that I have ever found. So many of our current buildings seem to block out nature. These embrace it. Which is why they seem more spiritual than any church I've ever been in.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out the Pretty Place blog as well: http://www.prettyplacechapel.blogspot.com. It has lots of great information about the Pretty Place chapel.

Keith said...

Downside to North Carolina: snakes. Copious amounts of snakes, many of them virulently poisonous.

[shudder]

I'm not afraid of snakes, but I have an active dislike of the variety that can KILL YOU.

Cat B said...

Snakes...why did it have to be snakes? heh

And if you can name the movie (without looking it up) huge bonus points. I actually like snakes. I would have one as a pet except for the whole feeding it mice thing. And considering my favorite place in the entire world (that I've been to) is Australia I figure I'm safe. Australia has the most poisonous species (in number and venom strength) in the world. Everything is poisonous there. And I could gladly live there. So NC should be a breeze.

Keith said...

Raiders, of course. [sticks tongue out]