Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Sweet Spring

It is finally spring here. I noticed on my way into the office this morning that the grass is starting to green. We don't yet have buds on the trees but the red-wing blackbirds are back in town and the weather has warmed right up. Today it is almost 70. I am in serious heaven. I'm debating picking up a sack lunch, finding a picnic bench somewhere, and eating outdoors. I have Shaun Tan's Tales From Outer Suburbia to enjoy during lunch. It promises to be a good day.

I know that spring does not officially begin until next week. And I'm still knitting myself a winter hat. But for me something has fundamentally shifted. I no longer have to really worry about snow. I have been able to go out of the house without a coat. My winter anxiety is starting to loosen up and although I'm still sleeping with earplugs, I don't worry so much. I'm ready to drink coffee outside on the patio and read or write. I'm ready to fly the kite that has been in the trunk of my car since August. I'm ready to be outdoors. I love the spring.

No comments: