Friday, March 13, 2009

Impossible Dream

I try really hard to pretend that I'm tech savvy. I'd like to think that I'm up on most of the newest applications. But I'm fighting Twitter, although it appears to have captured everyone else. (resistance is futile, as we geeks say) I have a tough enough time updating my Facebook status, I can't imagine trying to do that multiple times a day. But I have found a program that is taken up tons of my free time. I was planning to post something last night but I got carried away with LibraryThing.

LibraryThing is a website (partually free) that allows you to catalogue the books you read. You enter title or author and then select the book from the list. It keeps track of your library for you. You can review the book and add your own tags to better sort the types of books you read. It also allows you to see which other members have read the same books you have. I have one book that 40,000 other members have read and one book that has only one other member reader. The first 200 books you add are free. After that you need a membership. I bought the $25 lifetime membership and went to town. I'm currently at a little over 400 books. Here is a picture of LibraryThing. If you already are a member I'm CatB.


My goal (my impossible dream) is to add all the books I have ever read. I added my entire library last night but those are just the books I have on my shelves. That doesn't include the ones I've borrowed, checked out from the library, or given away. I have books I read as a child that I may not ever remember. I have stories that I read last week that may have escaped my mind. And I notice that as I get older my memory slips a bit when thinking about books. Stories and scenes blend together. It was actually a lot of fun to go through my library last night. I looked at books I hadn't paid attention to in years. I remember where I was when I read most of them. But I know that trying to remember it all is impossible. That's why I want to use this great site as a life list of books. I have a bit of start.

4 comments:

Keith said...

Damn you, CatB.

Cat B said...

Uh Oh! Why am I being damned?

Skem said...

I do this on Facebook through weRead. So far I've entered 300 books that I've read using their 1001 most popular and classic book lists. I want to use it as a tracing system for myself. They also give you book recommendations based on authors you like. Just a thought...

Cat B said...

Very cool. I had been using Visual Bookshelf on Facebook but wasn't enjoying it particularly. I will have to check out the 1001 most popular and classic lists though. There are so many books that I have forgotten. But considering I bought the membership to LibraryThing I'll probably stick with them. Sorry. I should have asked what you thought of weRead first.