Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Comedy and Legibility

I should really warn you that this post has a swear word. I should tell you that you may not want to let your kids read this post. But I have very few delusions that there are any children reading this blog and most of the people I know can take a joke. So if you have stumbled here, be warned. The rest of you, enjoy.

I found this comic and I knew I had to post it. 

It is just so me. Even when I try to be "street", it just comes out sounding silly. When I was younger that would bother me. I tried to rough up my speech to fit in better with my friends. I learned some new swear words during that time but I still never sounded right. Still too proper.

My mother was a stickler about pronunciation and grammar. I was taught at a young age to speak properly. I've never gotten out of the habit. I hardly ever swear...well unless I'm in the car. Then I could make a longshoreman blush. People are always shocked when a curse word passes my lips. They normally laugh and say wow I never expect you to swear. You're just not that type of person. Maybe I'm just too serious or too proper. But that's how I roll. 

The comic is from a great website called The Rut. http://bigeyedeer.wordpress.com. Take a look at the rest of his work. A little off-color but hilarious. You can also buy posters, t-shirts and other merchandise with this very cartoon on it. 

No comments: