Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Ashes


I'm one of those odd Americans who not only enjoys cricket but understands it as well. When Jeff started playing a couple years ago I went to every game and learned a ton about the sport. I still "watch" regularly. I put the watch in quotes because there are simply no television channels that broadcast cricket. So instead, I fire up the computer, head to Cricinfo and listen to the play by play. I can't see the game but I can imagine it. Cricinfo has some of my favorite commentators with Will Luke being my hands-down favorite. He has been covering this week's event since it's in England, and I'm in heaven.

And there is no greater time for me to watch cricket then now, during the Ashes. The Ashes is one of the greatest rivalries in the sport, between England and Australia. The national teams from both countries play a full test cricket series (5 matches, 2 innings per match) for the right to hold the Ashes. The event will last all week. The competition has been held every other year since 1882. Australia won two years ago but I have my hopes up that England can pull it off this time. I make it no big secret that I'm a huge Anglophile. So as much as I loved Australia when I was there, I'm an England fan.

The name is in reference to a comment made back in 1882 after a particularly brutal match between the two countries. At the end of the matches one of the commentators said that English cricket was dead, would be cremated, and the ashes taken to Australia. Supposedly one of the fans decided to create an urn, burned a set of bails, (the pieces of wood placed on top of the wickets) and presented them as a trophy. After that year, the competition has been for the right to hold the ashes.


Imagine if the US battled against Canada every two years in hockey. Imagine that these are the best players in the sport playing for a national title. Now imagine that it had happened every other year for 120 years. You can imagine the rivalry that would build up. The excitement and the patriotism. This is what the Ashes represent. So today, as I go about my work, I'll keep a close eye on the innings and wickets taken. And I'll cheer my team on. Here's to great rivalries and an English victory.

No comments: