Monday, July 27, 2009

At Work Vacation

I have a friend with two young kids who always used to say that she went to work to relax. I never quite understood what she meant. Today I do. My brother and his family came into town this weekend and I spent the whole weekend playing nerf wars and running around. This morning I could barely move. (which shows how incredibly out of shape I am). So today I'm at work, and it actually feels luxurious just to sit for most of the day.

I've never been in great shape but a couple years ago I was in good enough shape that I could run around with the kids outside and not get terribly winded. I could walk for miles without getting tired. Not so much this weekend. Friday night was quiet, with just dinner and some quiet games at my parents house. My nephew has been a very good chess player and was trying to stir up games with anyone who would play. He beat me easily but the larger shock was that he beat my father who is a fairly decent player. But that was quiet.

Saturday was a bit more boisterous. There was lunch and then shopping. Jeff and I had to get a new battery for his computer (WoW destroys his battery and we have to get it replaced every year or so). But we walked that mall back and forth with my brother. Then at home the kids were interested in a nerf war. We ran around on the front lawn with nerf guns, shooting each other and having a great time. I finally found a nerf gun I like. Then after dinner, another nerf war. Lots of running around on uneven terrain in bad shoes. In the evening we played Sardines (a hide and go seek variation) and had a blast. One of my favorite games.

Sunday was exhausting. I had a bout of insomnia again Saturday night and didn't get to sleep until 4 a.m. Sunday morning. I had already promised a friend that I would walk with her at nine so it was up at 8 with just 4 hours of sleep. We walked a trail near my house that's about 3 miles and I was awake after that. Jeff and I headed out for breakfast alone and then joined a lunch already in progress with my brother and family. Then there was more playing and more running around. My brother and his wife left to head home around 4, leaving the kids with Grandma and Grandpa (my parents) for the week. So Dad and I headed down to the park with the kids. Where we ran around more with nerf guns and shot each other. My feet were hurting by this point and I was due to raid that night so I finally headed home after dinner and a quick stop at the hardware store. We raided Ulduar last night until 11 and I finally dropped into bed exhausted at midnight.

Today I woke up to find that my legs didn't want to move. I'm a hurting girl today with both of my quads screaming in pain everytime I stand up. I'm enjoying my office chair immensely. Tonight I'm meeting some friends for drinks and dinner and then heading home for a late night guild meet. Tomorrow it will be more nerf wars and running around. I'm going to start looking at work as a vacation. I had a great time this weekend but man am I tired.

No comments: