Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Unreadable

It's not often that I find a book that I simply can't read. But over the weekend a friend introduced me to a book that I could not understand. I've tried, over and over. But for some reason the Codex Seraphinianus just escapes me. :-) Then again it's been baffling linguists for the last twenty or so years so I don't feel too badly.

The Codex was written in the late seventies by Luigi Serafini, a mixed media surrealist artist and architect. The book is one of the greatest mysteries of the book and art world. It describes in beautiful detail the plant life, animal life, social customs, and architecture of an alien planet/species. Oh and did I mention that it is written in a language that linguists have been trying to crack for decades now. Serafini created his own language for the book but this is not simply gibberish. The symbols, which look like a combination of Arabic and artistic flourishes, are orderly and logical enough to create a usable language. The number system used in the book has already been cracked. Serafini, who is still creating interesting and strange art, has refused to talk about the book or the language used.

I spent some time leafing through the copy trying to make sense of Serafini's beautiful drawings since the text was completely impenetrable. The images give the reader enough of a hint as to what the chapter is about. But the illustrations are very otherworldly, showing creatures that could never exist and strange contraptions or plants. It is very detailed, giving elaborate illustrations of plant germination/migration, human social connections, food choices,...etc. The book goes into every aspect of life on the alien world. It is a very beautiful book but also very eerie.

The Codex is also one of the most highly sought books, mostly for its rarity. It has only been published a handful of times in limited runs. A good copy can run anywhere from $300 to $900. Most libraries that hold them (and there are not a ton) keep them in the request only sections of the library. The book is beautiful and creepy and strange. After getting a chance to look I know I will have my eye out for a copy. Even as just an art book, this is one to own. Even if I can't read a word of it.

2 comments:

Keith said...

Reminds me a bit of Legal Daisy Spacing, though that's more comical than artistic.

http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Workshop/LDS.htm

Cat B said...

Fun little book! Thanks for sharing. It is definitely more humorous and very much less creepy.