Saturday, July 5, 2008

Book Review: V for Vendetta


In the last couple years I have become enamored with graphic novels. There are a lot of people out there who say that they are not proper reading but I disagree. I guess I have always been reading one form of graphic story since I was a small child reading Uncle Scrooge comics. I still claim whatever gets kids reading is a great thing. Plus there are some incredibly thought-provoking stories told in graphic form. For those who say that graphic novels aren't intelligent reading, I suggest Maus, Watchman, Sandman, and this novel. I started and finished the book this morning. And it is a modern piece of genius. 

V for Vendetta is written by Alan Moore and drawn by David Lloyd and is set in what was then the not too distant future. Since it is based in the late nineties readers may scoff at the disutopia presented by the book but for fans of 1984 or a Brave New World this graphic novel will feel very familiar. The story follows V a charismatic and mysterious anarchist who attempt to overthrow Britain's fascist government. V "recruits" a young girl named Evey who helps him with some of his tasks. These two are the main characters but there are many smaller characters whose lives are told in this. There is enough drama, politics and bloodshed to keep you flipping hungrily to the next page. 

This story, although older, is pure madness and genius and revolution all in one book. The characters of V and Evey are engaging. The drama is very real. And the images which tend to be on the dark side are captivating. And that doesn't even touch on the plot. Not often do you read a story that challenges how you think politically. This one did. A tribute in some ways to Guy Fawkes, this story shows how a government that does not offer liberty to its people needs to be overthrown. Now I'm not advocating anarchy. I am actually something of a fan of government but this presents an oppressive regime. As Thomas Jefferson stated "A little revolution, now and then, is a good thing." 

I cannot recommend this title enough. It is bloody and dark, but with a magic all its own. I'm not sure if I will be seeing the movie. I am always hesitant to see movies based on books I loved. And I can see Hollywood taking some liberties with this story that would be inexcusable. Plus with David Lloyd's fantastic pictures I already feel like I have seen  it. A quick read but an amazing story. One of the my favorite graphic novels ever. 

No comments: