Monday, July 7, 2008

Trilogies and other crap

So I broke down this evening and watched the last of the Pirates movies. You thought I would have learned my lesson after the second but apparently not. I just had to finish the series. And it was actually worse then I thought possible. The jokes were forced and contrived, the plot was beyond stupid, and the movie just kept going on. I caught myself looking at the clock a couple of times to see how much longer it would last. I knew I was in trouble the first time I saw Jack surrounded by forty of himself. And it just went downhill from there. 

But maybe I should start by saying that I hate trilogies. Always have. Now I get that movie studios make a ton of money on series like these. The first film is almost amazing, fresh, funny, startling. It is because of its originality that we love it. The first time I watched The Matrix I was so in awe of the plot that I forgot that Keanu Reeves was in it. My whole impression of things was turned on its head. When I saw the first Pirates I was shocked at how funny it was. And how original and interesting the character were. Then they turned both of those series into crap. 

I once read a fantastic article about Walt Disney. His studio had just put on one of the first Silly Symphony cartoons, The Three Little Pigs. People were writing to him and asking him on the street when he would be making the next pig cartoon. They wanted a sequel. Disney supposedly answered the same time every time he was asked. He would ask, why do you want more pigs? I've already give you pigs. Now I want to do something new.

I wish some of these movie studios thought the same way. I won't even discuss the horribleness that is the new Star Wars. Now I love movies. I love a new idea to watch. I have a number of favorite films and many of them are new concepts or fresh approaches. They are often uncharted territories. I still claim that the best things coming out of Disney lately is Pixar. The Disney Company has been on a sequel kick lately. I can watch Peter Pan 2, Cinderella 2, The Lion King 3, or any other classics that have been remade as silly sequels with stale dialogue. Or I can find a new character, new plot, and fresh jokes through Pixar. 

So again I have finished a series of movies and been profoundly disappointed in the result. They have taken a brilliant movie and cheapened it for money and some quick laughs. Another title I won't be rushing out to buy. I say the same for books as well as movies. Avoid series. Remember that pigs and pirates are only funny the first time through. Give me something new. 

No comments: