Thursday, July 17, 2008

House sitter extraordinare

So I'm house sitting this week for two people. I didn't realize when I accepted the first that I would have the second to think about too. At least neither of them require staying over. The first is for my parents. And that tends to be pretty easy lately. Pick up the paper, water dad's plants twice a week, and fill mom's birdfeeders. Not too difficult. I normally stop by on my way home from work. 

The other is for a neighbor of mine and this one proves to be a little more stressful. It's not that the place requires any real work, and her cats are very easy to take care of. No the stress comes from the facts that these are old cats. Old as in 16 and 18. The 18 year old feels like skin and bones. He's a loving kitty but I keep expecting him to fall over any minute. It makes me very nervous. I'm not all that comfortable with responsibility for other living things. Hell I worry about my cat's mental well-being. As I write this I'm sitting outside so the cat can enjoy some supervised outdoor time. Yeah she's spoiled. 

So I will spend the rest of the week and into next worrying about the cats. I'm sure I will check in on them so regularly that Jeff rolls his eyes. I can't help it. I'm a worrier. Particularly when something is in my care. Another good reason for me not to have kids. I would spend my entire life worrying about their physical and mental well-being. I would truly never have a moment's peace. 

(By the way, as I'm sitting outside the hummingbirds are coming regularly to the feeder. I'm sitting not ten feet from the thing and they just stop by perch and drink.) 

Now I am a great housesitter. I tend to take extra good care of things simply because I don't want anything to happen on my watch. We'll see how I do with this week though. Two might be more then my tiny little worrywart brain can handle. 


No comments: