Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Revelations

Have you ever noticed how inspiration comes from the strangest spots? I was introduced to the Cabinet of Wonders blog today and spent some of my morning looking through it. I glanced at pictures of interesting doorways and architecture and toys, and I realized why I hate my job. Yes inspiration in the strangest spots. By the way, check out cabinet of wonders. It is a wonderful blog that covers a broad number of subjects in detail. I find the whole thing fascinating. http://cabinet-of-wonders.blogspot.com.

But while I was looking through it I realized that all my life has been about imagination, art, architecture, and stories. That is what I have been interested in since I was a child. The art I like tends to be whimsical. The stories I like tend to be imaginative. My favorite part of being in a new city is looking at new architecture. And I am either reading stories, telling myself stories, or writing stories. And none of those things involve facts. None!!!

So I'm currently working at a job that requires facts. Definate answers. Numbers that can be leaned on. And I'm expected to give them. My job is to provide the definate answers. And I just don't believe that they exist. So I dislike my job. I go to work every day waiting for the day when I can't provide the answers or when the answers I gave are proved wrong.

In a library setting that would be different. A researcher would come in looking for information on Gaudi. I would provide them with books and materials on the architect. They would find their own numbers from those. There are a ton of sources to choose from. And no definate answers. It has been quite a revelation this morning.

This reminds me of a Brian Andreas print I have in my stairway. It is the first one I ever bought and the one I knew I had to have. Not suprising he does whimsical art that combines childlish drawings with very insightful text. I'll post a picture of it when I get home but the text says.

Place to Fly

She kept asking me if the stories were true. I kept asking her if it mattered. We finally gave up. She was looking for a place to stand and I wanted a place to fly.


Brian Andreas www.storypeople.com

No comments: